Arthritis is the most common cause of disability and one of the most painful and frustrating chronic conditions. It is also one of the most misunderstood conditions with a variety of misconceptions surrounding it. And with its long history, it is no wonder. However, finding natural arthritis pain relief does not have to be like searching for a needle in a haystack.
Natural arthritis pain relief is possible. While medications are going to be needed at some point for many people, they do not have to be the sole form of pain relief. Some natural pain relief options are:
- Applying moist heat therapy before exercise to relieve pain and then cold packs after exercise to reduce swelling.
- Using braces or shoe insoles to realign joint pressure and improve mobility.
- Acupuncture: Used to reduce pain and improve joint function for knee osteoarthritis.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin (the only supplement with evidence of effectiveness).
- Massage and relaxation training
- Maintenance with arthroscopic surgery has not been shown to be effective. Surgery is effective when used to correct a defect. The idea that you can undergo arthroscopic surgery to shave off rough areas of cartilage is unfounded.
- Exercise is encouraged. It is commonly thought that exercise should be lessened or avoided for arthritis sufferers. However, inactivity only intensifies stiffness and degeneration. Weight-bearing activities have been shown to help keep joints lubricated and improve balance.
- Exercise plans should include aerobic exercise, strength training to build muscles, and stretching.
- Too much exercise will not cause arthritis. However, injury during exercise has been shown to increase the risk of developing it. That makes it all the more important to take every precaution against injury. Wearing the right shoes and protective gear and properly warming up your body will go a long way.